Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dollar General Shopping Excursion

I was bored most of the day today.  Bored means thinking about Halloween.  More like obsessing.  Unfortunately for me...and fortunately for them...I don't like to tell my coworkers about all my Halloween plans...the ones who I know are coming to the party.  The ones who I'm not even telling I'm writing this.  It makes me really excited when I can somehow manage to keep a secret, but it's not just the secret keeping, it's the moment when people walk into my house with no idea what to expect.  Instead of seeing the mystery behind the magic, they just get to see the magic.  The finished product.  No one wants to know what's going on to the burger behind the counter at McDonald's.  This is kind of the feeling that I have.  I want the people coming to the party to really be surprised.  So I do have a few people I tell, so I really was going a little Hallo-crazy as I say.  So I decided that I needed some Halloween intervention to settle my nerves and decided a shopping trip was in order.

 
I am planning a real trip this weekend, but for just a mini-trip I decided Dollar General was a good idea.  Cheap and quick.  Last year I went to Dollar General too late and they were very picked over.  I had to wait just long enough that school supplies are gone...school has started here after all..but not too long.  So $30 later here's what I got.


I picked out these plates.  A pack of 4 for only $1.  Unfortunately they only had 3 black packages.  The black ones had bats, but the orange ones were pumpkins.  I am planning an elegant sit down dinner at my Dead and Breakfast.  I wanted to get real plates.  I decided to pick these up more just in case I don't find the plates I really want.  And I can always hunt the other Dollar General in town for another package of black ones.


I also got these treat bags.  I like giving these out to the trick or treaters.  It's easier to have little bags all made up.  I try to be the good house that gives out awesome things.  Last year I think I gave out 8 little fun size bars in a bag.  These bags were 20 for $1 and I got 60, so I think that it should be enough.  I've only had 30 trick or treaters at the most.


Creepy cloth.  Lots of creepy cloth.  It's really useful for everything.  Curtains, partitions, lining hallways.  I bought some sheer curtains this year too, but since my walls are not black this year, I might need to throw it in a few other places.  At a $1 each, totally worth it.


A black lace spiderweb table cloth for $5.  I got one or two of these last year.  They look really good over white sheets as tablecloths.  I definitely spent more like $10 on one last year from Michael's, so I think it was a good deal.


I couldn't resist the candy corn dish.  I love candy corn.  I think it's one of my most favorite things about Halloween, which is saying a lot.  So for $2, I really couldn't resist.


I bought this picture frame for $3.50.  I have a plan for it.  Another Pinterest idea.  I really have been hunting for a frame with a thick border.  I found one in South Carolina I liked, but I really didn't have room in my suitcase.  I'll post on that after I hopefully make it work.


The googley eyes...they are part of a future project too.  At a $1 each, hopefully it works as well.  Oh, and I almost forgot the poster board under it all.  That was the main reason for the trip.  I just hope I can find a use for that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment