Monday, September 10, 2012

Googley Eye Picture Frame

I have been trying to come up with ideas for prizes for both my costume contest and for my murder mystery winner.  I bought a picture frame last year that I never ended up giving out as a prize.  I then proceeded to step on it after the party and broke it.  So I guess I won't be giving it away this year either.  But I did find an idea for something super cute and still picture frame related.  I found this really cute pin on Pinterest for a googley eyed picture frame.  There's already a very nice explanation there for how to make one.  Here's my take.

Supplies:

- Picture frame

- Googley eyes in various sizes

- Lime green craft paint and brush

- Jewel glue (I like this best for any kind of embellishment, it is really for rhinestones on fabric and is washable)

Well here's the picture frame that I got for $3.50 from Dollar General.  I liked the nice thick frame, but it still has an edge.  This will keep the eyes on the frame, at least in my mind.


Let's also remember the googley eyes, also from Dollar General.


The first thing I did was open the package of googley eyes and spill them out inside the frame.  Then I started arranging them on the frame itself.  I thought it a little strange that there were 75 eyes.  Usually creatures have 2 eyes.  I mean spiders have 8 eyes technically.  But most googley eyed creatures, they have 2.  So I guess I have 37 and a half creatures per package.


Well, it certainly looks like I'm going to need more eyes.  This was only one package, but still, two wasn't helping things.  I really wanted some more varied sizes as well.  Since I wasn't going back to the store I decided to go on to the next step and start painting.


I wasn't necessarily going to paint the frame, but I didn't really like how the black looked.  The googles in the eyes didn't stand out enough.  So I decided I did like the lime green color.  I happen to have it already too.  So I ended up painting 3 coats of paint to get the coverage I really wanted.  It didn't need to be perfect since we're gluing eyes on top.



I bought some more googley eyes in some different sizes.  I started with the biggest ones first and spread them out a little.  I used my favorite jewel glue to glue them down.  I use Aleene's Jewel-It glue whenever I'm using any kind of embellishment.  It's actually meant for gluing rhinestones on clothing.  It's washable.  But I find it attaches any kind of little thing like a googley eye to a picture frame.


I started to add in lots more little googley eyes around the big ones.  And glue them all down.  I just dotted the glue right on each eye.  It was still messy.  

 

And after about an hour of gluing all the little spaces were filled it.  It honestly took a lot longer than I would have thought.  I had to keep taking breaks to wash off some glue from fingers just so that I could hold on to the eyes...well I guess really let go of them once they were on the frame.  But here's the finished product.




Overall I think it's pretty cute.  I just need to make up a piece of black paper to put in the frame that either just says Happy Halloween or like Congratulations you solved the murder or like Yay Best Costume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment