Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Shopping Adventure Part I

The Friday of Labor Day weekend I went on a shopping adventure.  I went to Abilene.  I go about 2 or 3 times a year for some pretty big shopping excursions.  I live in the middle of nowhere, yet the middle of everywhere.  It's really in the middle of the state.  But I do live in a smaller big town.  I guess that's the best explanation.  But we do not have a "real" mall and we do not have some of the major chain stores that Abilene has.  So here's Part I of my shopping adventure. 

Not in any particular order, because this wasn't my shopping order, more just my photo order.  And I will be combining 3 stores in this post, since I only got a couple things at each store.  But I'll give my overall evaluation on Halloween-ness too.

First up is Target.  Unfortunately Target, just like Walmart is not up for Halloween just yet.  I could rant about Walmart's decision that Thanksgiving comes before Halloween based on my trip on Sunday to my hometown, but either way the major chain stores I guess are still taking care of the back to school customers, even though in Texas kids have been back in school for a week.

Sorry, for the rant.  But Target did have a little bit of candy out.  I did get myself a bag of candy corn.  I was slightly horrified at how bad candy corn is for you.  I love love love candy corn.  So do my dogs.  (Bailey I knew about, but Charlie likes it too).  But I have been doing Weight Watchers since the beginning of the year.  So learning a serving of candy corn, which is only 19 little corns, is actually 4 points.  Yikes!  But totally still worth it.  At least once in a while.  And I've been doing good on having an open bag of candy corn.  Self control.  Yay!

Sorry for the candy corn rant.  Now onto Target for real this time.  Since there wasn't a lot of Halloween out, I ended up visiting the platter and dish section.  I bought some really cool platters last year, so I knew I wanted to check it out again.


I got a silver platter last year.  Basically the same, but not hammered.  I really like this one better anyway. It's 12 inches square. I ruined the one I bought last year.  I figured out why this year.  I had let it soak in the sink, for like a really long time...and it got funky.  I couldn't get it clean.  But I did find out when I bought this new one that it should only be washed down with soapy water.  So lesson learned.  And a newer platter.  It was right around $15.  The white one is a ceramic one, that says dishwasher and microwave safe.  It was on clearance for just over $13.  Note the red sticker?  It's huge though.  It's 14 inches square.  And it's very white an neutral.  I do like to buy things for Halloween that can be used all year.  Since I will be putting out lots of dishes for the party, I definately needed serving platters.

The next store is the dollar store.  The real dollar store, Dollar Tree.  We don't even have a real dollar store in Brownwood.  You know, where everything is actually $1.  I got some plastic silverware (it's silver, and it's somewhere...I didn't get it's picture.)  I also bought some Spanish moss for my invitations.  But my big "find" were the glass plates.



I had searched online to see if they had them, and they did, and they really had them in the store.  I could have ordered them online, but then I couldn't pick them out and make sure there weren't any defects.  I got 14 of them just in case.  But I should only have 14 people.  You can't beat $1 each for a plate.  And in reality if I bought 2 package of paper plates that were nice and Halloweeny I would spend almost $14 anyway.  So why not get completely reusable plates?  I have a vision.  I will explain more when I get my next online order.  Oh year, I already tried to get the stickers off...they are going to be a challenge.  Maybe that's why they were only $1.  The sticker stays...forever.

Dollar tree did have some Halloween stuff.  I looked quickly through it, but everything did look just a little cheap.  Which is understandable at the dollar store.  One thing I did want were these felt cut outs, but they only had 2 left of the ones I wanted.  So oh well.  On to the online order plan B.

The last stop in this post is Ross, Dress for Less.  I got a lot of stuff here last year, but this year they seemed almost really picked over already.  I was really tempted by a ceramic cake stand with orange ribbon, and it was only $8, but I figured I didn't need another breakable item that could only be used at Halloween. 



I did get these two really cute pumpkins.  I've pinned a bunch of pumpkins wrapped in lace, so this was already done for me.  They are really light weight, which is good for some of my shelves that don't hold a lot of weight.  And then there is a sparkly spider and bows on top.  So it fits into my theme idea and they were $4 and $6.  So not bad on the price either.

Part II of the shopping adventure will be Hobby Lobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment